Shared libraries and version handling

I've been working on converting the gmp package to the new source format
and adding shared libraries to the package at the same time. Since version
tagging no longer takes place in debian/rules I have had to hard code the
so version numbers into both the rules and the Makefile. I have looked
through the new docs with no success (my index karma again probably). Is
there a method of picking up this information from a central source in the
package?

TIA,

Dwarf