Re: /usr/local (again)

Dear Bruce,

you wrote:

> Let's please not add unnecessary questions in the postinst.
> I think /usr/local should be a symbolic link to /local, but it should
> always exist.

We will not gain anything with this! I am sure if you think about it
you will recognize that this will just shift the problem to a different
location in the file system.

On all my Linux systems /usr/local is a mount point of a READ-ONLY AFS or
NFS volume. And we have our own site-wide /usr/local structure which is
shared by all 12 architectures.  As it stands right now, Debian is not
well-behaved in a heterogenous environment.

Please take a short time to consider the arguments of others and credit
them with some intelligence and experience.  My proposal resulted from
several years of experience fitting Linux systems into an existing network.

The bottom line is: no package shall ever make any assumption about anything
regarding /usr/local.  If that package needs a COMPILE TIME definition
where local files reside, my proposal is a reasonable way to avoid hacking
the sources.

Dominik
Visit the FAN SITE of the WORLD LEAGUE OF AMERICAN FOOTBALL:
<A HREF="http://www.uni-mainz.de/~kubla/WLAF/Welcome.html>HTTP</A> or
<A HREF="file:/afs/zdv.uni-mainz.de/homes/UFO/kubla/public_html/WLAF/Welcome.ht
ml">AFS file</A> access.