Re: Debian, Linux, the FSSTND, the FHS and BSD

Michael Meskes writes:
> Ian Jackson writes:
> > The latest draft FHS, which they may well publish as it stands, makes
> > the following changes with which I have very strong disagreements:
> >  * The mail spool, /var/spool/mail, is moved to /var/mail.
> >  * /var/lib is renamed to /var/state (yes, all of it).
> >  * /var/lib/games is moved to /var/games.
>
> I don't like either of these and IMO we shouldn't change.
That depends on what we consider more important: technical beauty or
compatibility with other systems. If the FHS is adopted by upstream
maintainers then being non-standard will create unnecessary
work for debian package maintainers. And this will probably
invite bugs, which is bad, too.

> At least not in the near future.
Yep. I think we should wait for the issue to settle down in the FHS-list
and act according to its development then.

Generally I think that in the long run being non-standard is
worse than being standard even if the standard isn't 100% perfect.

-Chris