Re: Debian, Linux, the FSSTND, the FHS and BSD

You (Michael Meskes) wrote:
> Ian Jackson writes:
> > The latest draft FHS, which they may well publish as it stands, makes
> > the following changes with which I have very strong disagreements:
> >  * The mail spool, /var/spool/mail, is moved to /var/mail.
> >  * /var/lib is renamed to /var/state (yes, all of it).
> >  * /var/lib/games is moved to /var/games.
>
> I don't like either of these and IMO we shouldn't change. At least not in
> the near future.

We could ofcourse put in some symlinks (/var/state -> /var/lib, etc). Just
three of 'em and we'd be compliant :). One problem I see, one way or the other,
is how is dpkg going to deal with this? I understand it has some trouble
with files in symlinked directories or is that solved now?

BTW. I'd prefer going along with the FSSTND at the moment that other
distributions do it too. Can't we just wait and see what RedHat and others
do? Even better, can't we discuss this with them (hmm Eric Troan isn't
on this list is he :)).

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/