Re: Debian, Linux, the FSSTND, the FHS and BSD

Ian Jackson writes:
> The latest draft FHS, which they may well publish as it stands, makes
> the following changes with which I have very strong disagreements:
>  * The mail spool, /var/spool/mail, is moved to /var/mail.
>  * /var/lib is renamed to /var/state (yes, all of it).
>  * /var/lib/games is moved to /var/games.

I don't like either of these and IMO we shouldn't change. At least not in
the near future.

>  * A new directory /usr/libexec is created to hold command binaries
>   used only internally by programs - these are to be moved from
>   /usr/lib and in some cases /usr/sbin.  Oddly there is no
>   corresponding /libexec directory.

Sounds like a good idea for me. Since you once lobbied for this dir, why
don't you like it now?

> The two good changes that I see are (and they are not minor):
>  * /usr/share exists and is defined.
>  * /opt exists and is defined.

Sounds okay, too.

Couldn't we make only the changes we like?

Michael

--
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________