Re: 1.2 modem devices

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Peter Tobias wrote:

>IMHO we should change our comm packages for Debian 1.2 to use
>/dev/ttyS* instead of /dev/cua*:

I'm hardly expert in standard practices in this area, but I'm
under the impression that the cua* devices are for dial-out.

This may not be definitive, but I note the following in
/usr/source/linux/Documentation/devices.txt:

  3 char        Pseudo-TTY slaves
                [...]
                 64 = /dev/ttyS0        First serial port
                127 = /dev/ttyS63       64th serial port
                [...]
  5 char        Alternate TTY devices
                  0 = /dev/tty          Current TTY device
                 64 = /dev/cua0         Callout device corresponding to ttyS0
                127 = /dev/cua63        Callout device corresponding to ttyS63