Re: 1.2 modem devices

Bill Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Peter Tobias wrote:
>
> >IMHO we should change our comm packages for Debian 1.2 to use
> >/dev/ttyS* instead of /dev/cua*:
>
> I'm hardly expert in standard practices in this area, but I'm
> under the impression that the cua* devices are for dial-out.
>
> This may not be definitive, but I note the following in
> /usr/source/linux/Documentation/devices.txt:

The reasons why this should be changed were part of the mail
from Theodore Ts'o. The cua devices use a kernel based locking
mechanism which can't be used in all situations. For example I
have to use the ttyS* devices for mgetty/dip/minicom (dip and
minicom won't work with the cua* devices). But that is much
better explained in the mail from Theodore Ts'o.

Thanks,

Peter

--
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de