Suggestion for change in cdtool's device usage.

As it stands, cdplay links /dev/cdrom to whichever device you tell it
is your cd player.  However, this is usually going to be a device like
/dev/hdc which is owned by root.disk.  This means that if you want to
let anyone play cd's you have to put them in group disk, giving them
way more access than they need, and more than you probably want them
to have.  In addition, /dev/cdrom sounds more like something that you
would use to read a data disk, not an audio cd.

I propose that when cdtool asks you for the device representing the
cdrom, it create a copy of that device file (via cp -a or whatever)
named audiocd and chown it to root.audio.  Then you would only need to
be a member of group audio to play audio cd's, and /dev/cdrom can
remain linked to /dev/hdc (or whatever) which is still owned by
root.disk as is appropriate for mounting data cds.

Of course, there's probably a reason we shouldn't do this, but I don't
see it yet.

--
Rob