Re: Keeping non-free separate

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Rather than put the non-free programs in the distribution, we should consider
> dropping the non-free directory _and_its_contents_ from Debian. We don't
> really need anything in there,

Who doesn't need anything in there?  I think a significant number of
Debian users want access to the widest possible variety of software,
even if some of it comes with strings attached.

> and it would be nice to get closer to the
> free software ideal. We could allow someone else to distribute the non-free
> programs as an addition to Debian, instead of our distributing them as a
> non-free component of an otherwise free system.

This is fine as long as we don't end up abandoning the non-free packages
with no place to go.  However, some questions to keep in mind are:

* Will enough of the mirror sites propogate an independant non-free so
that those who want the programs can find them without having to line up
at only one or two sites?

* Will whoever runs the new site be committed to quality control and keeping
the package format and directory structure (e.g., use of
/etc/nntpserver) in sync with the main distribution?  Otherwise we could
end up with incompatibilities between official and unofficial packages.

* Will the CD manufacturers simply exclude all of non-free because it's
"not a part of Debian"?  What effect will this have on people who don't
have access to ftp?  Will they refuse consider Debian or even uninstall
it because it doesn't have wanted/needed software that other
distributions have?

************ MIKE ORR <vielo@u.washington.edu> *************
*      * 1405 NE 56th Street, Seattle, WA 98105 USA *      *
*      * (206) 522-9627, fax 328-6209               *      *
*      * http://weber.u.washington.edu/~vielo/      *      *
*      * english/russki/esperanto/deutsch/espanol.  *      *
********    ===> Insert silly quote here. <===      ********