Re: Keeping non-free separate

Mike Orr <vielo@u.washington.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > Rather than put the non-free programs in the distribution, we should consider
> > dropping the non-free directory _and_its_contents_ from Debian. We don't
> > really need anything in there,

I am definitely against this.  I think things are quite apropriate the
way they are.  I feel that the debian site and it's mirrors should be
the defnitive location for debian pacakges.  non-free make it obvious
what's going on, and removing it altogether would just hurt the
distribution.  It also makes a good resting place for packages for we
haven't yet resolved copyright issues.

I do think that giving it a subject based directory heirarchy
paralleling the normal directory is a good idea.

--
Rob