Re: The PCMCIA and kernel packages

>>"Brian" == Brian Mays <bem5r@virginia.edu> writes:

Brian> Here is a more radical idea.  The kernel package and pcmcia
Brian> package could be further coupled by having the kernel package
Brian> check for the existence of the pcmcia package (in the
Brian> /usr/src/pcmcia directory), when building a new kernel-image
Brian> file, and automatically build a new pcmcia deb package to go
Brian> along with the new kernel-image package.  The kernel package
Brian> could be given a new "superbuild" or "superbinary" rule that
Brian> tells it to make its own deb file and also make deb files for
Brian> all kernel add-on packages that it finds.  (If no add-on
Brian> packages are found, it simply makes its own deb file).  This
Brian> idea would also work for any future packages that contain
Brian> kernel modules.

	I like this idea. I suggest that we standardize on a directory
 /usr/src/modules/; and any stand-alone modules that may exist will
 put a symbolic link in there. So, if the kernel debian.rules is given
 the target modules; it will look into /usr/src/modules, and do
 something like
modules:
 for $$module in /usr/src/modules/*; do \
	(cd $$module; ./debian.rules VERSION=$(version) dist) \
 done

	Of course, something has to be done about dchanges and
 pgp-signing the created modules; I guess the simplest way would have
 the person running the command sign as many times as there are add-on
 modules.

	How does this sound?

	manoj
--
 Malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to Man.

Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918                A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,
Fax:   (413) 545-1249         University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
<srivasta@pilgrim.umass.edu> <URL:http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/%7Esrivasta/>