Re: "buzz" created

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Mike Coleman wrote:
> The moving-target option looks good except for one (big) worry--the
> possibility that a significant package with a significant bug will be present
> at the moment that some significant outfit presses a cdrom of Debian.  The
> Debian gets a rep as being buggy, etc.
>
> In an alternative scenario, multiple cdrom vendors press multiple snapshots,
> meaning that a single coherent errata statement (a la Redhat) is not possible.
>
> I think we should go with the frozen, or nearly frozen snapshot (where "nearly
> frozen" would mean only serious bugfixes).  This concept seems to work well
> for kernel releases, and I think it would work well here, too.

I agree with everything except the "nearly frozen" idea, exactly for
the reason you suggest - multiple snapshots are possible.

Read the mail I posted to debian-private a few minutes ago (or perhaps
you were one of the people on the cc list).  I outlined a method where
there would be 3 distributions -

1. a static `release' directory
2. a dynamic `release-updates' directory.  This would contain important updates
   only.
3. a dynamic `development' directory containing a mix of files and slinks to
   release.

All CD pressings have an identical static release directory.  All users
should upgrade all the packages in release-updates.  They can upgrade
to development if they're adventurous.

Guy