Re: base disks and editors...

Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Thu, 30 May 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>
> > > A net capable base system is very desirable.
> >
> > Agreed.  But not at the cost of another base floppy.
> >
> Well then, how about an "Optional" disk (set) that the install program
> could, at the installer's choice, use to complete the installation?

I've been thinking of writing a few documents of how to get from
a working net connection (either SLIP/PPP or terminal/shell account)
under some other OS to the equivalent under Debian. Something along the
lines of

1. Download the boot/root/base disks.
2. Download packages x,y, and z.
3. (put on floppies in such and such arrangment)
4. Install base systems.
etc...

The first time I installed Debian it was continual cycle of
boot DOS, dial in, download some stuff, boot Debian, oops, more
unsatified dependencies, boot DOS, on and on and on.

With a little planning, it could all be done in one step.

I think this is a lot more flexible than custom sets of base disks.
You could also create directories with the appropriate groups of
packages linked in.

Steve Greenland

--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream

			"One of the problems I've always had with propaganda
			 pamphlets is that they're real boring to look at.
			 They're just badly designed.  People from the left
			 often are very well-intended, but they never had
			 time to take basic design classes, you know?"
[Art Spiegelman]