Re: logwrites 1.1 -- A transparent mechanism for logging installation

Here's an interesting piece of software. It might help developers
debugging their packages, and it might help to build a future package to
enable integrating foreign packages - those will never work really good,
but this stuff might be able to minimize the trouble.

In any case, I think this is useful as-is; if nobody else is already
working on it, I might try to package it.

adam@yggdrasil.com (Adam J. Richter)  wrote on 30.05.96 in <4okj1j$ulq@freya.yggdrasil.com>:

>         Logwrites is a shared library that intercepts calls to open(),
> symlink(), etc. to transparently produce a log of file modifications
> performed by programs as they run.  It can also automatically backup
> files in many (but not all) cases that otherwise would have been
> overwritten.
>
> 	The original use for this was to track the installation of
> files done by "make install" for quality assurance purposes at
> Yggdrasil.  One use that I would like to see this system put to in the
> future would be as part of a universal system for tracking the
> installation of software, independent of packaging format, or
> even for software that is installed with "make install" or as
> individual files.
>
> Begin3
> Title:          logwrites
> Version:        1.1
> Entered-date:   28MAY96
> modifications as they are being done. Keywords:       ELF shared filter
> library file tracking Author:         adam@yggdrasil.com (Adam J. Richter)
> Maintained-by:  adam@yggdrasil.com (Adam J. Richter)
> Primary-site:   ftp.yggdrasil.com pub/dist/pkg
> 		11kB logwrites-1.1.tar.gz
> Alternate-site: sunsite.unc.edu pub/Linux/libs
> 		11kB logwrites-1.1.tar.gz
> Alternate-site: tsx-11.mit.edu pub/linux/sources/libs
> 		11kB logwrites-1.1.tar.gz
> Platforms:
> Copying-policy: GPL
> End
>
> --
> Adam J. Richter				  Yggdrasil Computing, Incorporated
> (408) 261-6630				  "Free Software For The Rest of Us."

MfG Kai