Re: Phasing out libgr

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@pilgrim.umass.edu> writes:

> 	There are some packages that still depend on libgr.  If libgr
> is officially obsolete (I seem to remember we have gone to separate
> graphics libraries), the probably these packages should be updated as
> well.  What do you think?
>
> 	manoj
>
> pbmplus, gimp-smotif seem to recommend/suggest libgr.

I'm just waiting on packages for the other stuff in libgr
(i.e. libtiff, libppm, etc.) before releasing a new set of gimp
packages.  As far as I know we only have as yet libjpeg and libpng.
The GIMP depends on all these libraries for opening files in the
various formats.

BTW, I just heard from one of the GIMP authors.  The upcoming version
will no longer depend on Motif.  They got tired of the headaches.
They've supposedly written a really nice replacement lib that'll be
freely available and can be used independently of the GIMP.  You can
see a sample (and a cool mosaic filter) in the new features section of
the GIMP home page.

http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~gimp/

--
Rob