Re: automatic adduser/addgroup in postinst (was Re: fingerd)

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Lukas Nellen wrote:

>     I> This is a bug in the base system, I believe.  Our uid (and gid)
>     I> allocation structure is
>     I>   0-99       base system maintainer, allocated centrally
>     I>   100-999    allocated dynamically and locally by adduser (and so may
>     I>              not be preempted centrally) for system accounts
>     I>   1000-$     allocated dynamically for ordinary users
>     I>   65534      `nobody', allocated centrally
>
> In many mixed environments, UIDs starting from 100 are used for
> ordinary accounts. How do you prevent clashes? Wouldn't it be safer to
> allocate UID's for system accounts starting from 65533 downwards? For
> all I know, that is less likely to cause problems in an heterogeneous
> network.

Putting system accounts at high UID numbers seems like a common solution
to me.  If we could reach a consensus on this I would be happy to make
the required changes to my package (adduser).

If consensus can't be reached, perhaps I could just make it
configurable.  We would still need to agree on a default config though.

Steve