Re: Inclusion of kernel version in kernel package names: A followup

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> said:

> Your unmet expectations are exactly why you shouldn't mix custom
> installed kernels with debian prepackaged kernels.

Am I missing the point here?  This looks like another debian
documentation problem.  There _will_ be need for debian users to
build their own kernels.  If special debian-compatability considerations
must be observed, ose considerations need to be clearly and conspicuously
documented.

Perhaps some sort of roll-your-own-kernel kit would be a good idea.
Something along the lines of a package which would unpack into a
pre-positioned kernel source tree at /usr/src/linux, such that
"make config", followed by "make -f debian.rules binary", would
produce a homegrown installable kernel package.