Re: aout-gcc

> > > As the current maintainer of octave (fairing poorly I might add) this may
> > > pose problems for me in the future. The current version of octave will
> > > only work correctly in the a.out version. The ELF compiled version has
> > > problems on several fronts. The developer has told me that he is too busy
> >
> > I'm not familiar with octave.  What problems does it have with ELF?
> >
> When I took over the package it was still a.out. I had to patch the source
> several times and build an elf f2c (someone else has since upgraded it to
> elf. Thanks) before I could finaly get it to build ELF.

Based on what I've heard from Dirk Eddelbuettel (?), I think it would
be wisest to leave the current version as a.out and wait for the new
upstream version before converting it to ELF.  I know this isn't ideal
since we would like to have everything be ELF, but I don't see a
better alternative.

David