Re: Package naming rules.

>>>>> "D" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

I agree with most of what you said, but bear in mind that relying (for
a specification) on what "most" regex packages think is a word if
probably a bad idea.  You should explicitly decide what you will or
won't allow, and then write the regex that parses it.  So for debian,
we should just say "This is what a package file name must look like":

(in perlease, and untested)

/[a-zA-Z0-9_]+-[^-]+-[0-9]+\.[^\.]+\.(deb|diff\.gz|tar\.gz)/

And then rely on people to implement this in various regex systems
however they want.  If perl's idea of a word works, they can use it,
but the official authority is the more straightforward regex above.
Consider that (I think) in some systems global variables can change
what is considered a word.

--
Rob