Re: Package naming rules.

> The solution:
>
> Since other utilities than grep follow the same rules for word separators
> it seems only prudent to not allow word separators within a package name.
> As the underscore ('_') character is not considered a word separator (at
> least by grep, that's the only test I have made) I strongly suggest that
> all dash ('-') characters in package names be replaced by underscore ('_')
> characters.

When I first started 'dftp', I tried for several months to get package names
changed to some parsable state.  It didn't happen and it won't ever happen.
There are many reasons why things are the way they are: some good, some bad.
The only way to determine what archive packages are available is with the
"Packages" file.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )