Re: Package naming rules.

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> said:

> Since other utilities than grep follow the same rules for word separators
> it seems only prudent to not allow word separators within a package name.
> As the underscore ('_') character is not considered a word separator (at
> least by grep, that's the only test I have made) I strongly suggest that
> all dash ('-') characters in package names be replaced by underscore ('_')
> characters.
>
> Any objections?

According to the grep(1) man page, the word-constituent characters are
[a-zA-Z0-9_].  I see 77 packages with one or more of the non word-constituent
characters '-', '.', and '+' in their package names listed in my current
/var/lib/dpkg/available file.

Personally, I think that we should stick with the guideline of using the
upstream author's unmangled package name.  I'm not a big fan of tailoring
requirements to make implementation more convenient.  Also, as Ian J. has
recently remarked, renaming packages is a pain.  I don't think that we
should lightly make a change which would require renaming 77 packages
which are currently in distribution.