Re: sendmail, deliver and procmail

>> Some stupid guy created his own mail.local instead of porting the BSD
>> sources (or he did a very poor job at porting it), that's where the
>> confusion started. That version is floating around for quite some time
>> now and people keep talking about the correct BSD port when they
>> really mean that piece of junk. We are using the BSD mail.local at our
>> site in an NFS setup with AIX, HP-UX, SunOS/Solaris, Irix, SPP-UX,
>> NetBSD, Ultrix and Linux systems for some years now without a problem.
>
> I'm a bit confused now ;). The correct version that you are talking
> about _is_ the mail.local from the sendmail sources, right? I haven't
> had any problems with that either. And, I mean, it is *included* with
> sendmail - how can anyone want to use something else?

There is more than one version of mail.local distributed with the sendmail
source. One is purported to be a port for Linux (in the `contrib' directory.)
This Linux version, however, does not do Debian-style mailbox locking like the
original version does (in the `mail.local' directory.)

Dominik, is this Linux version the "stupid" version you're talking about?

--
Robert Leslie
rob@mars.org