Re: Dselect and xlib

Dale Scheetz writes ("Re: Dselect and xlib"):
> On Wed, 1 May 1996, Stephen Early wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 May 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > > When I went to run install I got the "Oh dear" message about xlib. What
> > > package in base depends on this library?
> >
> > No package in base should depend on xlib. If anything does, it's a bug.

This is a bug in the predependency mechanism - it doesn't notice that
all the other packages are on hold, and tries to satisfy their
predependencies anyway.

Why are any packages except the base packages using Pre-Depends ?
I'll find them and report them.

> That is my experience with "by hand" upgrades. This seems to be something
> that dselect is doing "all by itself".
> I'll try it again and see if I can find xlib in the selection list and
> explicitly put it on hold and see if that works.

That won't help - dselect will try to get dpkg to install it and dpkg
will refuse.

Ian.