slrn bugs and note on slang-lib

Package: slrn
Version: 8.7.1

The /etc/news/slrn.rc file corrupt is corrupt.  Mine had a single word
in it:
hostname

My guess is the postinst is buggy.

Worse, slrn depends on slang-lib.  But when I used --force-depends and
ran slrn, it's fine.  ldd shows that it doesn't depend on any shared
library.

As the slang-lib maintainer, I'd like you to nudge me if you need a
new version of the shared libs.  I haven't released a new version of
slang in ages because the upstream source is NOT shared library friendly
(each new version seems to be incompatible with the previous and John
Davis makes new versions every few months).  I keep building his new stuff
and get distracted before releasing it for Debian.  My plan is to release
a version less often than the upstream source so that we don't end up
with illions of old incompatible /usr/lib/libslang-VERSION's lying about.
But, I know that new versions are required for the latest slrn and other
slang-based programs.  Hoo boy.  I hope to get a new slang-lib out soon.

I guess I' trying to say that since the library versions tend to be
incompatible, it would be best if we could coordinate new releases of
packages that could use the new libs (maybe every six months or
something).  Still I don't know how much of a win even this is.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                     |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS