Re: I still can't do ftp at ftp.debian.org

Are you using SLIP or PPP? ftp.debian.org appears to be a Solaris box,
and the window size handling solaris does collides with some long
standing bugs in the linux tcp implementation. If you can change your
MTU to something high (preferably the same as your provider's local
ethernet, probably 1500) it will affect, if not fix, the problem, if
my theory is at all relevant to your problem :-)

There was a linux patch sent out very recently (either linux-net or
linux-kernel, within the last two or three days) that purports to deal
with this particular issue; I haven't tried it, as my home machine is
still 1.2.13 and simply runs a SLIP MTU of 1500 as a workaround.