Re: New slrn maintainer

Maarten Boekhold writes ("New slrn maintainer"):
> For making start-up faster, slrn wants to have a newsgroup-description
> file locally. It can use a system-wide file for this to save space. To
> keep this current, it has to be updated once in a while.
>
> What is a sane location for this file? /var/lib/slrn/newsgroup.dsc ?

That's a fairly sane location.

> Another related Q: would it be OK to put a script in /etc/cron.weekly
> that fetches this list? (ofcourse the machine has to be connected to the
> net then).

That would be acceptable, I think.  Better, though, would be to wrap
slrn in a script that fetches the file in the background if it's older
than a week (say) when slrn is started.  Don't forget:
- you'll need a setuid C or Perl program to do this properly.  It
  needs to be setgid to news, but no more than that (if /var/lib/slrn
  is group-writeable by news).
- download to a temporary file in the same directory and then install
  it using mv(1) or rename(2), so that failed downloads don't corrupt
  the local copy;
- add a cron job to clean out old temporary files.

Ian.