Re: __environ & development environment

> David, could you please explain to me why my library version makes a
> difference for the package? IMO only the include files make a difference
> (and crt*.o ...) but not libc.so.5.3.*. It may cause huge problems on my
> site, but why on other sites?
>
> Finally I wonder why we cannot agree in that a package (and source of
> course) must be usable on the standard system, no matter how it was created.

Off the top of my head, here are 3 reasons to stick to the standard
development packages.

1.  Forward compatibility (building with a newer lib and running with
an older one) is not guaranteed.  Even if it appears to work, are you
sure you've thoroughly tested everything?

2.  Ld.so will eventually (hopefully in the next month) issue warning
messages for mismatched ELF libraries just like it does for a.out/DLL.
Do you want every Debian user to get annoying warning messages every
time they run programs from your packages?

3.  How is anyone else supposed to be able to rebuild your packages,
for whatever reason, if you are using a customized development
environment?

David