__environ & development environment

First of all let me apologize for the problems with my modules package. I
hurried it's upload because of my upcoming vacation and did not test it
enough. I will create a new version that takes care of all the bug reports
as soon as I'm back in the office. Once again I'm really sorry for this.

I agree that I should be blamed for uploading a package that doesn't work on
a standard Debian system. However, I still think there's no need to write
out the development environment for all developers. I didn't have the time
(yet) to install the complete Debian system. Instead I use a
ex-A.OUT-Slackware system that grew to an ELF system with mostly Debian
packages on it. Since I did several adjustments I have to keep it that way
or I might remove some of these adjustments (unfortunately a conffile isn't
recognized if the package isn't installed at all :-)).

Besides the __environ problem (that I brought up on linux-gcc BTW) is
originated in crt*.o not in gcc-2.7.2.l.3. This gcc version simply is less
buggy than 2.7.2.

David, could you please explain to me why my library version makes a
difference for the package? IMO only the include files make a difference
(and crt*.o ...) but not libc.so.5.3.*. It may cause huge problems on my
site, but why on other sites?

Finally I wonder why we cannot agree in that a package (and source of
course) must be usable on the standard system, no matter how it was created.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
meskes@informatik.rwth-aachen.de |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/