Re: uploaded package handling

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Andy Guy wrote:

> Having, I think settled on a .changes file format, we can now think
> about what to do with them.
>
> I like the idea of mailing in the .changes files rather than uploading

would be nice

> UPLOADED PACKAGE HANDLING SYSTEM
>
> Starting point: The UPHS gets a .changes file from somewhere.
>
> First, the pgp signature (should be the current maintainer) on the
> .changes is checked

o source packages (containing a .tar.gz file) should be signed
  by the source maintainer, even if there are also some binary
  packages included (priority to the source).
o binary-only packages (containing only .deb files) are signed
  by the resp. architecture maintainer.

>   a) Check that the new version > current version in the disribution

binary only packages should be newer then already existing binary
packages, but not newer then the coresponding source packages.

> A message should then be sent to the correct changes mailing list
> telling everyone about the new wonderful package.

for stable packages it's debian-changes, for the sources and the
i386 binaries it's debian-devel, for the other archs it's
debian-$ARCH.

just my $0.02 ;-)
jjm

--
Juergen Menden                   | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by me,
tel:    +49 (89) 2051 - 2387     +-----------+ are (usually) not the opinions

Hi! I'm a .signature virus!  Add me to your .signature and join in the fun!