Re: uploaded package handling

Juergen Menden writes:

>On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Andy Guy wrote:
>>
>> Having, I think settled on a .changes file format, we can now think
>> about what to do with them.
>>
>> I like the idea of mailing in the .changes files rather than uploading
>
>would be nice
>
>> UPLOADED PACKAGE HANDLING SYSTEM
>>
>> Starting point: The UPHS gets a .changes file from somewhere.
>>
>> First, the pgp signature (should be the current maintainer) on the
>> .changes is checked
>
>o source packages (containing a .tar.gz file) should be signed
>  by the source maintainer, even if there are also some binary
>  packages included (priority to the source).
>o binary-only packages (containing only .deb files) are signed
>  by the resp. architecture maintainer.
>
>>   a) Check that the new version > current version in the disribution
>
>binary only packages should be newer then already existing binary
>packages, but not newer then the coresponding source packages.

This only refered to binary packages so we are in agreement.  I hadn't
thought about source packages and deleting old packages.  Basically
binary packages that belong to the source package should be deleted
when the new packages are being installed.  We should keep all source
packages for the binary packages in any of the distributions.

>> A message should then be sent to the correct changes mailing list
>> telling everyone about the new wonderful package.
>
>for stable packages it's debian-changes, for the sources and the
>i386 binaries it's debian-devel, for the other archs it's
>debian-$ARCH.

Should probably be added as a field to the Distributions file
perhaps??

Andy.

PS HELP: I don't seem to be getting debian-devel (since Saturday I
think), althought obiviously others are - who is the new list
maintainer?  I have sent a couple of subscribe messages to
debian-devel-request but have got back no ACKS (also sent a message to
-request with an Re: subject but no reply from that).