Re: perl wants csh

Mike Wilson wrote:

> Forgive me if I've missed something, but perl
> seems to want csh around.
>
> I sat down and was trying to pick up a little perl
> tonight and got stuck when:
>     print <*>;
> didn't produce any output.
>
> There was a footnote that said perl sent such a command
> to csh and regurgitated the results.

Yeah, I noticed that the 'glob' command didn't work, and from
somewhere in the man pages figured out that it wanted a c-shell.

Perhaps perl should 'Recomend: csh|tcsh'? I'd hate to see
a 'Depends', if this is the only thing that doesn't work. On the
other hand, if this breaks a lot of perl scripts, then maybe
it should. In fact, since perl is part of the base system,
maybe csh should be on the base too. Yech. Does perl need
csh for anything else?

BTW, did we ever get a virtual package name for c-shell? Do we
really need one, if there are only two real choices that can
be dealt with with an '|'?

Steve Greenland
--
The Mole - I think, therefore I scream

			    DAVE BARRY'S 1987 IN REVIEW -- May 5th
			       The Iran-Contra hearings begin with Sen.
			       Daniel Inouye doing his hilarious two-hour
			       impersonation of a 78 r.p.m. record being
			       played at 33 r.p.m.
[Dave Barry]