perl wants csh

Forgive me if I've missed something, but perl
seems to want csh around.

I sat down and was trying to pick up a little perl
tonight and got stuck when:
    print <*>;
didn't produce any output.

There was a footnote that said perl sent such a command
to csh and regurgitated the results.
A `strings' of the perl binary showed a /bin/csh.
I had never installed a csh and installing tcsh made
the expected output appear.

Is not such a dependance on csh a Bad Thing?

perl 5.002-7

Mike

Mike Wilson     cmwilson@uncc.edu     Debian Linux!
bokura ha naku tame ni umareta wake janai yo
bokura ha makeru tame ni umarete kita wake janai yo
--The Blue Hearts [mirai ha bokura no te no naka]