Re: installing ELF-devel-tools

M> today I wanted to install the ELF development-stuff, so I got:
M> binutils, bin86, gcc, gdb, xxgdb, ddd, libc5-devel, libg++, make,
M> ncurses30-devel, slang-devel, slang-lib from the unstable-tree.

M> When doing 'dpkg -i libc5-devel', it failed because of
M> dependency-problems with libc-4.26.8.

M> Is it save to use --force-depends in this case? Don't want to screw
M> up my system.....

M> I had kind of the same thing with ncurses-devel. It has some
M> dependency-problems with the old ncurses-stuff. What's the story
M> here?

Until Debian 1.1 is ready, upgrading to a development system is a
little tricky.  I had to explain it to someone else recently, so
here's what I said:

(Much of the following is paraphrased from an earlier message from Ian
Jackson.  Anyone feel free to speak up if I got something wrong.)

1) get the normal stable system installed via the 5 base disks.
(You've probably already done this.)

2) Compile and install a kernel that has support for ELF binaries.
This means saying y, not m to the config question.  You want support
in the kernel, not as a module.

I use /sbin/installkernel for installation after "make zImage" so I
don't forget to run lilo etc.  Make sure your lilo.conf is set up
right (i.e. make sure that /etc/lilo.conf agrees with /boot as the
kernel directory, etc.), and run installkernel like this:

(from within /usr/src/linux)
installkernel 1.3.80 arch/i386/boot/zImage System.map /boot

3) Reboot.

(From here on, all packages mentioned should come from the
/debian/development/binary-i386/ tree):

4)   dpkg --install ld.so-<version>.deb

5)   dpkg --remove libc

this will produce an error message about dependencies (which you can
ignore), but it will have noted that you wanted to remove libc.

6)   dpkg --install --auto-deconfigure libc4-<version>.deb

This will replace libc with libc4 so you can still run a.out binaries.

7)   dpkg --install libc5-<version>.deb

This will install the ELF libc.

Now you can run both a.out and ELF binaries.  The a.out compiler, if
you have one, will be broken - replace it with the new ELF gcc package
from the development tree.

At any point,
    dpkg --audit
will tell you about anything that dpkg knows is still broken.

Now you should be ready to install all the other stuff you want from
the development tree.  If you do all this though, I would recommend
that you subscribe to debian-devel@pixar.com (see the web page for
instructions) so that in case something breaks, you'll probably hear
about it before you install it.

--
Rob