Re: MIME support

On Sun, 24 Mar 1996, Brian C. White wrote:

> As I said I would several weeks ago, I've built a "mime-support" package
> that includes "mime.types" and "mailcap".  Other packages that need these
> files can depend upon this package and then expect those files in /etc.
>
> I'm thinking of adding a script similar to "install-info" that will allow
> new packages to add details about themselves to the "mailcap" file.
> Thus, qthe 'xv' package could install itself as a viewer for ".gif", ".jpg",
> and other files.

Great! As long as your script handles conflicts between packages that
display the same file types properly. Meaning some prompt like:

 "MIME type image/gif already registered to package supergifviewer.
  Do you want to use supergifviewer or xv to view image/gif MIME
  attachements?"

when install xv and then supergifviewer.  Well, that would be the ideal
behavior, IMHO.

It would also be (very) nice if install-info produced a mailcap file that
works under both X and the console. Packages could then register themselves
as supporting type image/gif (say) under X or the console or both.

> Offhand, I can't think of any programs that would add to the "mime.types"
> file.
>
> Any comments?

Doex your mime.types file know about debian packages?  Inserting an
"application/x-debian-package" or somesuch in mime.types would be nice.

Adding a directive to mailcap saying debian packages should be saved to
disk (instead of say, displayed on the screen) would be very nice.
Although... Is mailcap expressive enough for that?

(It's kind of annoying to get a debian package dumped to the screen in
Netscape when you click on its name.)

     Christian