Re: MIME support

Hi, neighbor!  (I'm in Ottawa.)

> Great! As long as your script handles conflicts between packages that
> display the same file types properly. Meaning some prompt like:
>
>  "MIME type image/gif already registered to package supergifviewer.
>   Do you want to use supergifviewer or xv to view image/gif MIME
>   attachements?"
>
> when install xv and then supergifviewer.  Well, that would be the ideal
> behavior, IMHO.

This is the plan.

> It would also be (very) nice if install-info produced a mailcap file that
> works under both X and the console. Packages could then register themselves
> as supporting type image/gif (say) under X or the console or both.

That would be much more difficult.  I don't see how, as a plain file,
"mailcap" could differentiate.

> > Offhand, I can't think of any programs that would add to the "mime.types"
> > file.
>
> Doex your mime.types file know about debian packages?  Inserting an
> "application/x-debian-package" or somesuch in mime.types would be nice.

It does now!

> Adding a directive to mailcap saying debian packages should be saved to
> disk (instead of say, displayed on the screen) would be very nice.
> Although... Is mailcap expressive enough for that?

It wouldn't be too hard to write a small program that just takes the input
file, determines the proper name, and then hardlinks the proper name to
the name it was given (a temp name that will be "unlinked").

> (It's kind of annoying to get a debian package dumped to the screen in
> Netscape when you click on its name.)

If Netscape doesn't know what to do with the type, it should prompt you for
a file to save it as.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )