Re: autoconf question

You (Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca) wrote:
> The situation is as follows: GNU acct programs (which I wouldn't quite call
> `user programs' include sys/acct.h. That's what configure.in and configure
> look there.
>
> However, the Linux Accounting patch (now part of the kernel since 1.3.72 or
> .73) decides for some oddball reason to have acct.h in /usr/include/linux. So
> configure doesn't find it. I agree that the Linux Accounting should fix this
> by providing the file in sys rather than linux

But, it can't. Files in /usr/include come from the _library_, not the kernel.
You or the author of the acct patch should submit the next header file
to H.J.:

#include <linux/acct.h>

There is a symlink in /usr/include, called linux, that points to
/usr/src/linux/include/linux, and that's the only place from which user
programs can see kernel headers. They shouldn't include them directly,
but through an extra sys/xxxx.h file.

Mike.
--
  Miquel van    | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
  Smoorenburg,  | mailto:info@cistron.nl          http://www.cistron.nl/