Re: getting dpkg to restore configuration files

Raul Miller:
 > > At the moment, the best mechanism I can see, to work around this, is
 > > dpkg --unpack _____*.deb, mv the .dpkg-new file into place, then
 > > dpkg --configure _____

Ian Jackson:
 > Can you describe exdsactly what the situation is, and what you're
 > expecting dpkg to do, and what you're seeing it do ?  (NB that it's
 > also necessary to consider the version of the config file that came
 > with the previously-installed version of the package.)

I had trashed the /etc/init.d files for some packages (bind, in
particular) in an attempt to get a machine working which was locking
up during boot.

When I re-installed these packages (same version as before), the files
did not re-appear (of course).

I didn't find a dpkg flag for this situation -- and, since the design
of dpkg seems to be task oriented (rather than, for example, data
structure oriented) this seems like something that should be
rectified.

--
Raul