Leland Olds -- Re: lynx

Leland did not send this to debian-devel, but asked me to forward it.

Jim

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Sat, 16 Mar 1996 07:41:34 -0800
From:    Leland Olds <olds@eskimo.com>
To:      jimr@simons-rock.edu (James A. Robinson)
Subject: Re: lynx

> > I don't really see that we need a graphical and non-graphical browser
> > virtual package. Can you think of package that would require a graphical
> > browser in particular?
>
> Well, yes.  An example is a friend out in California who is working
> with a startup company on an information system.  They are tying in
> many databases together, and using Java applets to send the
> _information client_ and the information out.  You need a graphical
> web browser to access it properly.  I just finished working on a
> comments submission program for our college, while you don't need a
> graphical interface, it sure helps a lot.

A graphical-browser does not imply java-support, and html-forms-support
does not imply a graphical-browser.

I'm not up on the "virtual package" business, so forgive my ignorance
and abuse of keywords, but can you do something like the following, and
have packages depend on a www-browser with java-applet-support?

netscape 2.01
 Provides: www-browser
 Provides: java-applet-support
 Provides: html-forms-support