Re: A working Gnuchess (at last!)

On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Carl V Streeter wrote:

> Nikhil Nair writes:
>
> > Note: previous versions, including the one in the stable tree, are so
> > severely broken that they are barely worth having at all - as soon as the
> > program has to `think for itself' (rather than using its book openings) it
> > segfaults.  I therefore suggest that the gnuchess version in the stable tree
> > should be removed;
>
> You're right.  I moved the old gnuchess/xboard to /private/project/obsolete
> in case any one can convince me to put them back.

Why, is xboard broken too?  I suspect the problem with this combination
was in gnuchess rather than in xboard (just a -1 instead of a 0 somewhere
which was causing segfaulting :-( ).

gnuchessx still needs xboard (in fact, the gnuchess package Recommends:
xboard).  Ideally I'd take xboard over myself, but obviously if I
couldn't use it myself I wouldn't be doing it justice ...

Hope this helps,

Nikhil.