Re: Rxvt and resources

Carlos Alberto Carvalho writes:

> Maarten Boekhold (boekhold@cindy.et.tudelft.nl) wrote on 6 March 1996 19:28:
>  >Is there a global place I can put resources for rxvt? I now have them in
>  >my .Xdefaults, but would like them to be available all over the system. I
>  >tried putting it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/lib/app-defaults/Rxvt, but this
>  >doesn't work. /etc/X11/Xresources doesn't seem to be a logical place too....
>
> Well, I think it is a good place... Anyway, you have to compile rxvt
> without the fake-resources option. You could also use the latest
> version of rxvt, 2.14, and NOT make it suid. If you want to have utmp
> records, put utmp in a group together with rxvt, and give it group
> write permission.
>
> I already said that rxvt should not be suid root, but the maintainer
> claims it should be like xterm. I agree it should be like xterm, ie.
> both should not be suid root. This is a bug in X11, and I think debian
> should correct it.

I agree this is a good idea and I'll change rxvt if there is a consensis
and we have a actual group, should we use the tty group or make a new one?

It's not just a X problem though, how many other programs out there deal with
utmp and wtmp?

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell				               andrew@it.com.au
Perth, Western Australia		      howellaa@cs.curtin.edu.au