Unsatisfied scsi refs in aha1542 driver

Well, I've been running the 1.3.57 kernel for almost a month now and just
got around to trying to mount a cd on my drive. I built a custom kernel
with all of the scsi options set to modules and the aha1542 driver
compiled as a module. When I tried to mount the drive I got "not block
device" errors on the attempt (this is a script that has run since
1.2.13). So I got lsmod to tell me that aha1542 was not installed. When I
tried to load it manually with insmod I get the following:

scsi_free undefined
scsi_malloc undefined
scsi_register undefined
scsi_unregister undefined
scsi_register_module undefined
scsi_unregister_module undefined
Failed to load module! The symbols from kernel 1.3.57 don't match 1.3.57

I still get unsatisfieds at boot up from bsd_comp and (I think) scsi_mod.
Trying to load scsi_mod gives other undefined errors (I suspect that if
scsi_mod would load the above undefineds would go away)

Scsi_mod provides the following errors when attempting to load:

dispatch_scsi_info_ptr undefined
proc_scsi_inode_operations undefined
Failed to load module! The symbols from kernel 1.3.57 don't match 1.3.57

Any ideas on how I might resolve these issues?

TIA,

Dwarf