Re: loginutils package, etc.

'Guy Maor wrote:'

>On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
>> > miscutils and loginutils will be based on sources taken from several
>> > different packages, among them admutils, util-linux, and bsd.
>>
>> Please do not make any packages that contain sources from more than
>> one upstream package. Please make a separate Debian package for each
>> upstream package. When in doubt, please split packages into smaller
>> ones rather than making big packages. It's a good idea sometimes for
>> a source package to generate several binary packages so that it is
>> easy to subset or replace portions.

The netstd package integrates sources from several upstream sources
quite well, I think.  Do you see it as a reasonable model?  [My
inclination is to say 'yes'.]

>What's the rationale for this?  I'm only taking a fraction of the
>upstream packages.  The upstream packages group seemingly unrelated
>programs.  miscutils, loginutils, and fsutils, in contrast, group
>related programs together.  In a couple of instances, both of these
>packages provide the same program; I'm taking the better one, and
>usually adding my own and others' bug fixes.
>
>You guys don't mind having lots of tiny little packages, then?  It
>seems that is much harder to maintain as there are more possible
>combinations that a user could install.

I liked your original proposal.  Hats off to you!  I don't like lots of
tiny packages with related tools in them.  I'm hopeful that you will
take Bruce's suggestions and make an even better proposal!!

Source intergrity is nice.  But a well documented 'mess' seems more
expedient (see netstd).

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
cjf@netaxs.com                     |    (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)