Re: A better miscutils

Guy Maor writes:
> I will create three packages - fsutils, loginutils, and fdutils.  The
> first two will be base packages.  fdutils is already being maintained
> by Michael Meskes.

Sound good to me.

> Several programs will definitely be added - vipw, vigr, ipcs, ipcrm,
> and which.  I am considering three other programs - hostid, namei, and
> whereis.  Please give me your opinions on whether you think these three
> are important.

While I don't think these three are as important as the other programs you
mentioned I still would liek to have them. Well, in fact I do have them
since I converted from Slackware and Slackware does have them. Since they
combine for about 15K (+ man pages) I think we should add them even if they
are less important.

> The two new packages will make any future Debian upgrades, such as
> fdisk3.0 or shadow password support, much easier.  All relevant
> programs are already grouped together.

That's really important IMO.

> I believe the new system to be much cleaner, but I may have overlooked
> something.  Any input would be appreciated.

I like it.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
Lehrstuhl fuer angewandte Mathematik insb. Informatik