Re: emacs 19.30-1 uploaded

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:
> What X11 terminals do you use? rxvt or xterm or xtermcolor? Do you have this
> wrap-around problem with bash? (Try editing with the cursor in col 75, then
> add another item, eg by TAB completion. I then find myself in another line
> with bash totally confused. Happens in rxvt at least.)

That's not your X11 terminal.  That's a bug in readline2.0.  Somebody
decided to release the new version of bash dynamically linked with
libreadline, which was a mistake for 2 reasons.

The libreadline2.0 is INCREDIBLY buggy; one of its many bugs is the
wrap around problem you've seen.  The readline library that comes with
bash has a million bug fixes.

The libreadline that comes with bash also has quite a few bash specific
features, things that only make sense in the shell.  (Look for #ifdef
SHELL in the source.  Things like quote handling and completion are
fairly shell-specific.

The simplest way to fix this is to use a version of bash that is
statically linked with its own readline.  Then we should also recompile
libreadline with -DSHELL=0, and release that as the new shared
libreadline.  I should note that the current release of gdb is
statically linked with its own readline.  There may be some gdb
specific code in gdb readline; I haven't investigated.

Ian J. argues that perhaps a new version of the shared libreadline
(-DSHELL=0) will break a current program, ftp, or whatever.  That is a
danger when any shared library is upgraded.  The published functions in
readline.h and history.h are all identical in readline2.0 and bash
readline.

Comments, developers?

Guy