Re: Debain 1.x release target

Bruce Perens writes ("Re: Debain 1.x release target"):
> I didn't see the message that Ian is referring to. I'd prefer not to have
> a release date. We just miss them over and over and it's bad publicity.

Right.  The message I was referring to is the one below.

Ian.

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
To: Debian developers list <debian-devel@pixar.com>
Subject: Requirements for 1.1

As far as I can tell the following things still need to be done before
we can release 1.1:

 * Base packages that need binfmt_elf have to find a way to test for
   this in the preinst, so that an attempt to upgrade will bomb out if
   the kernel is unsuitable.

 * I need to implement Pre-Depends in dpkg, both as something to
   enforce in `dpkg --install' and as something to allow dselect to
   install the upgrades in the right order.  I can probably produce
   at least minimal alpha support for this in about 2 weeks.

 * The base packages need to have Pre-Depends added, as well as calls
   to dpkg --assert-pre-depends-supported or whatever (when I've
   implemented it).

 * We need to decide on our scheme for shared library upgrades.  David
   Engel, are you still thinking about this ?  Then we need to
   implement it in all our shlib packages.  Depending on what the
   solution is I may need to change dpkg.

 * Any remaining non-ELF packages need to be converted.

 * We need to decide on the FTP site structure and get our mirrors
   sorted out.

Most of these things can happen in parallel.

Ian.