Splitting packages

Right, I'm convinced: the packages in the main area of the tree will
be split too.

When this change is made I'd like package maintainers to split their
packages before uploading them.  If the package is over 450K just
running dpkg-split with the default part size will be fine.  (If
people write this into their scripts then we can make the distribution
of part sizes on the FTP site more to our liking by changing the
behaviour of dpkg-split.)

Could the author(s) of dftp and dpkg-ftp please let me know when their
programs support this.  The Packages files' Filename fields will
contain a list of filenames, separated by spaces (and the size and
md5sum fields will have several entries too).

I'll post again when I want all package maintainers to start uploading
split packages instead of unsplit ones.

(The stable tree will not be affected by any of this, of course.)

Ian.