Re: Netscape

>Who is doing the Netscape package for Debian?

That would be me...

>I understand that there have been some problems with getting Netscape to
>allow us to redistribute their software.  How about the following solution:

>The Netscape package would include any required setup files, but not the
>Netscape software itself.  The "postinst" would then require the Netscape
>archive in /tmp where it would unpack it and move the binary to the desired
>location.

>It's not ideal, but it should work!

That is basically the approach that I would try.

>If nobody is working on the Netscape package, I could do it, but I don't
>really understand all about the XKEYSYM and nls settings.  Preferrably,
>these would be automatic or part of the X distribution.

Could you?  I've been *swamped* with work (grad school) recently and
haven't made much progress on packages recently.

Problems/caveats:

1. Netscape is hardcoded with some rather annoying paths, and there is
no good mechanism (yet) to install global Environment variables to
override these.

2. Looks for stuff in /usr/local (which I would say would be okay if
not a debian package)

3. Looks for stuff in /X386.  Arg.  With the exception, everything you
need to get it running is already in the 'motifnls' package

For starts, heres the procedure I use on local machines to install it
(on a 'new' 0.93R6 partition):

1. unpack .tar.gz
2. make sure 'motifnls' package is installed.
3. Make sure /usr/X386 is a link to /usr/X11R6 (ick, I know...)
4. move netscape to /usr/local/bin
5. move moz2_0.zip to /usr/local/netscape/java/classes

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
kaszeta@me.umn.edu,kaszeta@bofh.mi.org  University of MN, ME Dept