Re: MSDOS name conversion

ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk (Ian Jackson)  wrote on 08.02.96 in <[🔎] m0tkLME-0002aEC@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>:

> 3. Should we split the packages in the main binary directories too
> (adding complication), or only in the msdos directories (wasting disk
> space) ?

I would prefer either having only split files, or else having the "real"
split files in an easily-identifiable area (say, .../binary/split/... or
.../binary/{base,devel,...}/split/ or whatever), so it's possible to
adjust mirror as to mirror only one copy of each package. Of course, a
naming convention for split parts would also do it - for people using the
Perl "mirror" package.

For these same people, symlinks are no problem as long as they do not
change place with directories; if they do, it's usually sufficient to do a
(from memory) "find /net/mirror/debian -type l -rm {} \;" before doing the
mirror. (Of course, it might help to move larger hierarchies around by
hand if they move on the master ...)

I speak only for myself.

MfG Kai