2940/1542 Adaptec's not compatable?

Hi...

I used to have a 2940 Adaptec scsi card with a 2gig hard drive on it.  I
decided to go back to the 1542 to stay with the stable verion of Linux and
noticed something strange.  I repartitioned and reformatted the drive on
the 1542, however when installed lilo and wanting it to install onto
the hard drive so I don't need to boot off the debian custom floppy it
hangs with "LI" at the prompt.

If I put the 2940 card back in it'll boot fine - can someone tell my why
this is so, and if possible how I can boot from the hard drive on the
1542 instead of the 2940?

Thanks,

...Karl

--