Re: su in debian.rules

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996 10:52:00 -0500 , "brian (b.c.) white" <bcwhite@bnr.ca> said:

>> The issue is that *I* consider, for *myself*, the need to become
>> root to build a package to be a *serious* impediment.
> I have one problem with this.  Since you need to be root in order to
> install packages, why does it matter that you have to give root
> access to anybody developing packages?  If you are not actually
> installing the packages you create (even just as a test), then why
> would anybody else even consider installing them?  I'd like to
> believe that any package I install has at least been tested by the
> person who created it.

You are jumping to some far-fetched conclusions.  They aren't
suggesting that packages not be tested.  I think the idea is that it
is good to minimize the number of tasks that must be performed as
root.

Accidents always happen but they can be much less destructive if you
are not root at the time.  For instance, a stupid mistake in one of my
debian.rules files once caused the deletion of / instead of
./debian-tmp.  :-)

--Mike